Software Engineers on Google’s Chrome Web Platform team join us for an episode centered around Core Web Vitals.
Annie Sullivan, Staff Software Engineer, and Katie Hempenius, Frontend Software Engineer on Google’s Chrome Web Platform team joins us for an episode centered around Core Web Vitals.
Core Web Vitals are a set of website metrics which have a major impact on the user experience, and now impact your search ranking. Tune in to get familiar with these metrics, understand the biggest misconceptions for developers trying to improve scores, and where we might expect changes to emerge moving forward.
- Sullivan’s day-to-day (:53)
- Hempenius’ day-to-day (2:06)
- Core Web Vitals basics (3:12)
- CWVs versus Lighthouse (5:14)
- How people should treat Lighthouse scores moving forward (7:29)
- How to measure FID (9:14)
- CLS SPA performance issues and how the Chrome Team resolved this (12:04)
- Most common culprits for underperforming LCPs (20:09)
- Biggest misunderstandings from CWVs for devs trying to improve their scores (21:07)
- Do JS frameworks help or hurt performance? (26-53)
- Why Layer0 devs feel CWVs still need work for SPAs (28:11)
- Future of AMP + signed exchanges (34:00)